Friday, March 7, 2008

Needles and Bloodwork and Meds...Oh My!

The day was long...

My appointment was at 12 and I was told to come in about 15 minutes earlier to do paperwork. We got there about 40 minutes early and we still ended up waiting more than an hour before we were called. Back and forth we went, from the doctor, to the nurse, to the counselor and to the billing. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours.

Here it is in a nutshell...
  • We both have to go back for some more blood work (we both are carriers of Thal.assemia trait-extra testing after IVF)
  • Hubby needs semen analysis
  • Scheduled a hysteroscopy for the beginning of April (if the hysteroscopy doesn't throw my cycle off schedule I will start IVF meds by the end of May)
  • Need to schedule an IVF teach class

There's a million more details that I'm forgetting right now but only because it was so overwhelming. The counselor told me that I shouldn't try to memorize everything I have to do yet. I should only worry about coming in for blood work and my hysteroscopy. The whole schedule could change but that is what I'm looking at for now.

Because of our genetic problem (thal.assemia), we need to make sure that we do an extra test to make sure the baby would only be a carrier of the trait. And because of this, IVF would be the quickest way for us to get better results because there is a 25% chance of the baby getting the disease (cooleys.anemia) and not just being a carrier of the trait.

So much to think about.

I did bring in my desk calendar so that I could write in all of my appointments and the doctor thought it was really funny. He said he had never seen anyone bring in such a big calendar. I told him I need to be prepared and I hoped that it would be big enough to write in all the crazy things that I would have to keep track of.

I guess I am somewhat prepared. I'm just nervous about these injections. I don't think it'll ever get easy. I dread the sight of them.

Well, my Net*flix movies are waiting for me in the living room. I have three to choose from. I'm gonna organize my paperwork and relax on the couch. It's raining and cold out and hubby is working late.

2 comments:

Daniella said...

teddy123eddy123I've been thinking about you all day! We were at Monica and Alex's for a dinner party and I didn't bring my cell (which was in my truck but we took Joe's car, which we never do....) Anyway, just got your v/m 10:30 - Wow, lots of ground was covered in one day - will call you to get the live update. Big hugs to you!!!!

Joannah said...

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished today. :-)

Good luck with all your tests!