Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cheeky

Time to swab the cheeks. I received my packet of consent forms, information, cheek swab kits, and payment amounts. In preparation for the P*G*D testing, DH and I had to give blood. They also requested cheek swab samples from our parents to create a family history report. It just clarifies things for them, so we will do what we have to do.

This set-up has an out-of-pocket price tag of $4000. They also give us the option to do an aneuploidy screening test which tests for some of the more common chromosomal problems such as Down Syndrome, trisomy 13 and trisomy 18, and chromosomes X and Y. The accuracy of this test is 90%. I don't know if I mentioned before but the P*G*D testing is 95-98% accurate, which would mean a CVS test at 10 weeks as well. The additional cost for the aneuploidy test is $2000.

Once the lab has gathered all of this information, they are ready for testing. That will occur after egg retrieval and on day 5 (five days after egg retrieval), the results will be ready. This will be on the morning of the transfer. This will cost $3000. Insurance does not cover these costs.

All of this will be nothing but a memory once I'm holding my own baby in my arms. I can't even be stressed about these fees right now. It just means nothing to me.

Only 52 days (I hope) until I start my injections. It seems like forever.

2 comments:

Joannah said...

You can't put a price on having a family. Good luck with everything.

Jen said...

Your path with PGD sounds so very similar to ours!

We actually had all the DNA testing done prior to meeting with our RE and it included blood samples from my in-laws and sister-in-law to compare with my husband's DNA.

Which clinic is doing the testing? I know my clinic is sending all our stuff to RGI in Chicago and the prices of everything sounds familiar too.

I won't bore you but if you have questions, e-mail me!